In memoriam Guangqin Chen 1957 - †2009
SpeakGoodChinese is a cross-platform application based on
that allows you or your students to train their Mandarin
pronunciation. Our speech technology is based on technology developed at
the Institute of Phonetic Sciences of the
University of Amsterdam. An online forum dedicated to
SpeakGoodChinese is hosted by
We have a short promotional video
made by Lifeng Liu and Guangqin Chen (in a
small and large
format), which can also be found at
digiemotion and at
This project was supported by grant 6046 from the Digitale Universiteit.
The Beta version of SpeakGoodChinese 3.0 is out for Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge
Go to SpeakGoodChinese 3.0 at Github.
Our code is available from Github at github.com/robvanson/sgc3.
Version 2.0 is out for Mac OSX, Linux, and Windows
Our project is available now on repo.or.cz/w/sgc2.git.
Our code is available from this git repository and should be combined with the praat code available at
SpeakGoodChinese 2.0 can use word lists in plain pinyin text form, and with Characters, translations, and audio examples.
The integrated eSpeak Mandarin Speech Synthesizer will generate example pronunciations when live audio examples are not available.
See the Wordlists entry on the left for examples.
SpeakGoodChinese 2.0 can be extended with standard speech synthesis applications.
SpeakGoodChinese 2.0 integrates the free (FOSS)
eSpeak Mandarin speech synthesis, but can also use other speech synthesis applications.
New developments in SpeakGoodChinese 2.0 include:
- Support for native Speech Synthesis (TTS) on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Chinese and Japanese language interfaces, thanks to the translations of 東孝拓 (Higashi Takahiro) and 王慧婷 (Wang Huiting)
- Many features for integrating SGC in courses and classrooms
- Central installation is now possible
- Support for Mac OSX, Linux, and MS Windows
- English, German, and Dutch are now available, adding new languages is very easy
- Chinese Characters (not on Linux) and translations
- Integration of eSpeak Mandarin speech synthesis (language/voice: zh) and other applications
- Extensions of word lists and their managment
- Help texts
- Automatic saving of settings
- Recording of student performance for homework practice